Jan 7, 2008

Blip-blap-blort

As Gman is fond of saying, "You shouldn't have dumpstatted your Constitution."* I can feel a cold coming on, likely an infection passed from a co-worker who's been sick for a few weeks. My nose is dry and aches, my eyes are heavy, and I've got a general ache in the joints that usually precedes me going into the full sniffles and sneeze mode. I'm hoping that it's not the case, and instead is just a combination of weather changes and a lack of sleep, but I'm just not sure.

Big find on Saturday was at the Great Canadian Super Store. Holly, Hunter and I headed out there mostly as a time killer – I was half-thinking about picking up a few food items, and we were going to check out their prices on diapers and the like. When we got to the store, while I was off checking the long-shot that they might have Rock Band Special Edition for the PS3 (so damn hard to find), Holly was checking out the discount DVD bins. Where she found a copy of Angel: Season One for $15. Well, that started us both dumpster diving – I can up with StarGate SG-1 Seasons 1, 2 and 3, along with Angel Season 1 and 3. Holly grabbed the Simpsons Season 1 … all for $15. That's a heck of a mark down from the $55 they were selling for a year or so ago.

I'm finding the outfall from the Iowa primaries interesting, as the Republican machine scrambles to groom someone (anyone?) as a viable alternative to Huckabee. Meanwhile, on the Democrat side, John Edwards is angling for the Vice President slot with Obama, and Clinton finds herself suddenly portrayed as a loser. The dynamics on the GOP side are interesting, as the religious wing is now contesting the neo-con and conservative wings of the party for dominance. On the Democratic side, you've got the interesting mix of race, gender and economic class all battling it out. Yet despite all the talk of Iowa and New Hampshire, both are relatively minor in terms of delegates, and we could still see one of the current "losers" take over. Despite my pessimism about democracy in general, I find this current mix fascinating for what it might bring.

Holly's a big Steelers fan, so I feel bad that the team lost yesterday. They were without Parker, a key element in their running game, and Roethlisberger threw 3 interceptions, which just sealed the deal, really. The score was close, but only because the Steelers tried to mount a 4th quarter comeback, not because they were the dominant team. It's hard to win against the clock, in football, and time just ran out for Pittsburgh. The safe bet, really, is that the Patriots are going to win the Superbowl this year, but I'm not going to put any money on it.

And in other news, I continue to get my butt kicked around in Scrabble. Sigh.

* Dumpstats are where you put the lowest values when making up a RPG character.

No comments: