Jan 13, 2008

Distractions

In truth, I don't know that I can ever actually be bored. I have far too many distractions, as yet another late blog post can attest. Recent distractions now include Pirates of the Burning Seas, Rock Band, my D&D campaign, Medal of Honor: Pacific Assault, and the comics I bought yesterday. This leaves out Holly & Hunter, the two best distractions I could have. I have a shelf full of DVDs to be watched, shelves of books to be read, boxes of comics to be flipped through, and a stack of games to be completed.

Pirates of the Burning Seas is truly an obsession right now, though. It's an MMORPG set in the Caribbean, circa 1720, with the player nations of Spain, Britain, France and Pirate. Sailing ships, boarding actions, and even some swordfight on shore make up the action component of the game. That alone hits on two of my interests – wooden ship combat and old-time fencing. Add in the complex economy modeled, as near as I can tell, on the theories of Adam Smith and his The Wealth of Nations, and I'm sucked into a black hole of deep interest. I'm maintaining an offline spreadsheet of resource costs to work out up to the minute values of products I'm making and working out profit models, all while battling pirates and the evil British in my Spanish cutter.

It's all too much fun, and also the reason this post is short and late.

No comments: